Sunday, July 22, 2012

Name one thing that you would recommend for a parent-to-be

Although I am sure we will all miss our old printed magazine, there are lots of advantages to moving to the online version. As well as saving us heaps of money in printing and distribution costs, the online version also provides an archive of all our content which can be easily searched for using the search function (towards the top right). It also allows all the readers to contribute their own knowledge and experiences, making for a far richer resource that parents and parents-to-be can tap into.

You can comment on any post by clicking on the comment section at the bottom of that post. You do have to have a name (but it can be a pseudonym if you prefer). We would love everyone to contribute.

To get things started, I thought we could create a post that helps new parents to decide what they really need. I remember being totally overwhelmed by my first visit to a large baby store at all the things available. I didn't realise there were so many things you could possibly buy. I had been living in the desert for 10 years and had never seen 50% of what is available here.

One thing that we had for Arthur that I would absolutely never be without was the hammock. I had seen several friends using these down under. There are a couple of different types, but I ended up going for this one by Moffi, New Zealand.


It's really portable so my baby could be where ever I was. I had a hook in my bedroom, one in the nursery (but never used it) and one in the lounge. There is also 'love handle' which enables you to attach it to any door frame, so perfect for visiting and holidays. It's on a spring, so you can gently bounce your baby to sleep. Also as your baby moves, he rocks himself back to sleep. Baby sleeps with his head slightly higher than his feet too, which was great for Arthur as he had reflux. It also keeps the baby sleeping on his back, but without the risk of developing flat head syndrome.

I did co-sleep with Arthur at night most of the time, and had the hook in my room over my bed. This meant that I could put him to bed before I went myself, knowing he was safe, but when I got into bed he was right there and I never had to 'get up' in the night.

It was brilliant. The only problem we had with it was getting Arthur out of it when he grew too big for it and had to transfer to cot (this was when he was about 9kg and starting to pull himself up). I would totally recommend this to anyone thinking about how and where their baby is going to sleep and would be happy to answer any questions people may have.

So, what was if for you? 

Help us build our online resource for parents and parents-to-be by commenting on this post, telling us about one thing you wouldn't have been without and why.

8 comments:

  1. Have struggled to decide on the One Thing. But I think the sling was invaluable - even more so with subsequent babies as they would be completely content in there leaving me with my hands free to deal with the older one(s) needs. Which sling to recommend though, that's much harder, and where a sling consultant like Vix Ward http://www.schoolofbabywearing.com/about-us/ might be worth visiting. I'm sure such people weren't available ten years ago when we had our first baby. I really liked our Coorie Pouch Sling http://www.brightsparkslings.co.uk/slings.htm but my other half prefered the Wilkinet http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I struggled to think of just one thing too. The sling is a very close second. I think it is very much down to personal choice too and it's great that there are people around that will let you try a few. We were really happy with our Hug-a-bub.

      Delete
  2. For us, it was definitely things to help with sleep. As there were several things that were essential, I will describe them all! 1. "Sleep Sense" by Ann Richardson (see http://www.babysense.com) is a fantastic easy to read book that takes you through what to expect from a baby at different ages and stages as regards their sleep. I found the chart describing the amount of awake time that a baby should have at a specific age absolutely invaluable. 2. Swaddling. Jenni had really bad reflux as a little baby and would only sleep on me or her dad. We found that when Jenni was wrapped in a miracle blanket (Mothercare) she would settle much easier and actually sleep in her own cot. 3. Weighted blanket. The research shows that babies who suffer from reflux and/or colic benefit from having sensory feedback to help them to settle for sleep. We had a Sleepyhead blanket (see http://www.weightedbabyblanket.com/) and this coupled with the miracle blanket was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Hannah Lazarus) It would definitely have to be a sling for me too. My baby is 10 months old now and I've only just acquired one. I used a baby carrier before as she didn't want to be put down in those early days. This was great but it hurt my back after a while. I'm so annoyed I didn't have a sling before - much more comfortable! I'm using my friend's Calin Bleu sling. It's a bit of a faff to get on but comfy. Another star-buy once my baby was three months old was the Bumbo seat. I don't know what I'd have done without it! It was also helpful when we started weaning. They're expensive new but I picked up a second-hand one for £10.

    I found buggy shopping a complete nightmare as there are so many different sorts. The thing I found most useful about our buggy was that you could clip the car seat on - great for when they want to sit up but are too small for a pushchair and great for when they fall asleep in the car and you don't want to disturb them by transferring into a pram.

    Biggest wastes of money: 1. the Gina Ford Contented Baby Book. Biggest load of rubbish EVER! I'd like to burn it! Same with the Baby Whisperer - I found some of the advice really unhelpful - I guess it depends on your baby's temperament (I know some people who have sworn by it!). 2. My Mum kept buying loads of bottles and dummies! My baby wouldn't use them! 3. The breast pump! As my baby wouldn't take a bottle, it was completely pointless! It's probably best to hire one first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sling for me too. I had a Baby Bjorn with my first and couldn't use it as it hurt my back. But I got a Moby stretchy sling for our second and have only just stopped using it (she is a year) and I've now gone for a Mei Tai. Going to the beach or taking the dog for a walk is so much easier with a sling than with a pushchair.

    A close second is a potette portable potty. We do a lot of travelling to see families and having it in the car even after the initial potty training was over has been brilliant. It's well made (even for big toddler), folds down to nothing and you can also use it as a toilet seat. I also found it useful as our oldest is terrified by hand-driers in public toilets and sometimes just wouldn't go into them. Our porta-potty stopped many tears (mine) during potty training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best buy is the sleeping bag. We used used them pretty much from birth until about 30 months for all 3 children. They are so easy to use and much less hassle than blankets or other bedding. A sleeping bag stays in place and can't be wriggled out of. Doing up the sleeping part becomes an important part of the bedtime routine, another comforting signal that it's time for sleep.
    A Baby-Bjorn type carrier would be my husband's best buy - he was very happy to carry a baby in it for long walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sleeping bags too... and another advantage that I am just learning about is that they hamper climbing ability!!!

      Delete
  6. For me it would be the 90 Minute Sleep Programme by Dr Polly Moore. When bubs hit 3 months+, she started crying for no reason that we could see. Milk? No. Bum? No. Colic? Didn't seem to be. Not ill, not hurt, not anything but perpetually grizzly. And she also seemed to fall asleep at random moments, but only for short periods, like 10 - 20 minutes. I can't remember how we found her, but her website has a handy "symptom checker" and bubs ticked all the boxes for sleep deprivation! It worked like a dream - hard work, but worth it and still works now at 19 months. http://www.pollymoore.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...